Snow in November and December is thematically beautiful. It fits our horse and sleigh, Winter Wonderland image. But here it is February, and the drab, dull of winter lingers on like a 10-month pregnancy. Sigh…I’m finding myself craving beauty.
God created the world with beauty. God created us in His image and women “are the crown of His creation….Every woman has a beauty to unveil. Every woman. Because she bears the image of God. She doesn’t have to conjure it, go get it from a salon, have plastic surgery or breast implants. No, beauty is an essence that is given to every woman at her creation.” – from Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge.
So what’s a girl to do? Redecorate of course! I transformed my home office into a place of beauty. Now it’s a place I desire to be – which is a good thing since I just started working from home, and I’ll need to get work done! Going through the process of redecorating, my winter soul poked through the frozen ground and felt restoring warmth. Some new paint on the walls and bookshelves, new sown curtains and valance, Hobby Lobby decorative shelving, and a table off Craig’s List gave my office a rebirth that spilled over to my soul. (My incredible husband put in hours of labor distressing the bookshelves and tables and making sure the decorative shelves were hung straight – thank you, honey!)
What satisfies your craving for beauty in the dead of winter? A quick trip to Hawaii would probably settle the craving, but a more realistic trip is where your creativity flows.
- Pull out those boxes of photos and assemble them together in a scrapbook (with all the fun scrapbooking essentials). This not only fills a creative cup, but it makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something.
- Take up stamping and card making
- Check out www.pinterest.com (warning: addictive website, enter only when time allows)
- Take a friend and paint at one of those paint your own pottery shops
- Check out where womencreate.com and all their links. They also have a magazine – I discovered them at Barnes & Noble
- Take a class at a local hobby store
- Visit an art gallery or museum
- Make your own “bling jewelry”
- Look at fabric and pattern books – and even purchase material
- Make new curtains for a bedroom
- Or totally redecorate a room like I did! Whatever it looks like…create some beauty!
Don’t forget to work on the “inward beauty” as well. Pick out a fresh new Bible Study either at your church, with a group of friends, or one that encourages you all by yourself. This will get you through the next few months, and you’ll feel invigorated and ready to burst forth when the spring arrives.
Let me know what satisfies your craving for beauty – I’d love to hear!